Friday, June 19, 2009

A Good Day to Dye


Once a year my fiber group, Designworks, gets together at a members house and has a 'dye day'. I make up a soda ash soak and mix all the dyes. They bring whatever they want to dye (natural fibers only) and all the extra's they need (table, plastic, containers, brushes, bags to carry wet work home- that kind of thing).
And then it's play time!!!!

It's a great day of creative people trying different techniques all at the same time. Unlike a class where I am trying to educate the participants, in this case I stand back and let them create. I am there mostly to field questions and facilitate their ideas. For their part, they get all the fun of experimental dyeing without really needing to know the chemical knitty gritty. I find (as with most teaching situations) that I learn from them - fresh ideas for my work.

Everyone brings a potluck dish for lunch and it's back to work.

So - if you are looking for a different way to spend a creative day get some friends together for a dye day!

2 comments:

dye diana dye said...

Sounds simply wonderful. What a fun way to spend the day!

Debbi said...

Thanks, Diana
It is a fun way to spend the day with your friends. It could be fun with a group of kids, too!