Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Taste of Shibori

I am presenting a workshop this weekend on Shibori. Only one day from 10-3 so that is why it is just a taste - I think of it like eating lunch with the free tastings at Costco- they are generous and tasty but not quite a full meal. But, that's all we have time for.

I have been doing various forms of shibori since 1998. Using the book Shibori, The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing by Yoshiki Wada, Mary Kellogg Rice & Jane Barton (which is THE definitive book) I made samples of every technique and kept excellent records. So, I have been having fun going through them. Amazing the information I took away the last time and what I utilized. There was SO much information in that book I think I absorbed and used only a fraction. That fraction has served me well, but it is nice to visit 'my old friends'.

I especially forgot how much I enjoy stitching designs. Ironically, loom shibori was created by Catherine Ellis because she didn't enjoy the stitching process and wanted to recreate the idea on her loom. But, I find it meditative - and a lot easier to carry around! The designs that can be created are endless and beautiful. One of the major kimono pieces I created used strips of 4" wide silk matka - each of which had a different stitched design. My inspiration for this came from an exhibition in Rochester, MI on Japanese Indigo dyeing. One of the kimono's they had was a salesman's sample. Each strip had a different design that the shibori house could recreate- all in different techniques. Now that I am writing this I remember how much I enjoyed carting the strips around and having something to pull out of my purse when those odd moments of idleness occurred. Maybe it's time for another.......

No comments: