Friday, May 22, 2009

Shibori T Shirt

For a while now, I have had vision of a TShirt with a vine twirling up the arm, across the back and down the front. Seeing the TShirt in this months swap seemed perfect to try this. The original owner screen printed some leaf shapes down one side of the T.



The next person did some green ombre dyeing to the bottom 25% of the T.
I decided this was a good time to try my vision. I sewed the design using 3 different type of stitches. For the vine I used a foldover running stitch on the arm & back and on the front I used a chevron stitch. The leaves on the arm and back are stitched with a simple running stitch outlining the design. The front leaves I folded in half before stitching half a leaf design.

Then I pulled the stitches tight to form a resist.

Now it is time to dye! I chose to continue the spring green up the arm and down the right side. I put all of the previous ombre dyed area as well as the left side of the shirt in plastic bags and bound them tightly.



After dyeing, washing, drying and removing the stitches I find the effect a bit subtler than I originally envisioned. But, I think the softer design works well against the stronger silk screened side of the T. I can hardly wait to see what everyone else does with this!


No comments: